A Remarkable Journey

Energy Consumption

At Castlepoint Shopping Park we take our responsibility to minimise our impact on the environment very seriously.  and we have an on-going commitment to reduce our consumption year on year. We are proud to say our energy consumption reduced 14.9% in 2020 this has seen a reduction of 31.1% since 2014. We continue to strive to reduce our energy consumption at Castlepoint.

The infographic below displays our sustainable efforts to create a greener future for our community.

Recycling

Our journey to a more sustainable future started almost 20 years ago. In 2009 a card baler was purchased to process cardboard, in addition, we also added a plastics baler. To supplement our efforts an MRF was purchased later that year. This Materials Recycling Facility was basically a conveyor belt on which the waste other than card/plastics was tipped and then it was manually hand picked from the belt.  We introduced recycling of cans in 2010.

In 2010 our focus turned towards the public areas. It was our intention to embrace the public and involve them in helping us recycle-we decide to install “torpedoes”. A such shaped receptacle with compartments for bottles(plastic), cans and general waste placed in strategic locations on the mall. During that same year our next project was to introduce the recycling of food waste from the restaurants, cafes, including coffee grounds and stores’ staff areas. Soon we were recycling 60 tonnes of food per year which has remained constant since then. In order to move the project forwards further our next challenge was to move to MBT (Mechanical Biological Treatment) for our black bin waste- this is waste that could not be recycled by ourselves. This finally resulted in the centre achieving “Zero to landfill” status in 2013!

At that stage we were recycling ourselves some 70% of waste, the remaining 30% was classed as recovered. We now also recycle wooden pallets, metal, glass bottles. Castlepoint war on waste started in 2005 when over 956 tons of rubbish generated by retail and catering outlets on the 41-acre site was being transported to landfill sites. These levels are now down to 489 tonnes a reduction of 49% certainly a Remarkable Journey.

 

See Castlepoint Brands